The Harvey Awards winners were announced this past weekend at the Baltimore Comic Con.
The big winner of the evening was Image Comics’ Saga which won Best Series, Best New Series, and Best Single Issue or Story (for issue 1). The Saga creative team, Brian K. Vaughan (Best Writer) and Fiona Staples (Best Artist and Best Colorist) also won individual honors. Accolades are no rare occurrence for the sci-fi series. Saga also won three Eisner Awards in 2013, and the first trade paperback collection won the 2013 Hugo Award for Best Graphic Story.
The Harvey Awards are nominated by and voted on by comic-book professionals, recognizing their peers’ outstanding work. The Harvey Awards are one of the comic book industry’s oldest and most respected awards. The Harveys recognize outstanding achievements in over 20 categories, ranging from Best Artist to the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame.
The awards are named for writer-artist Harvey Kurtzman. Harvey Kurtzman (1924-1993) was a cartoonist, writer, editor and widely considered a comics genius. He is probably best remembered for MAD, which he founded in 1952. He created 28 revolutionary issues for E.C. publisher Bill Gaines (for whom he also created Two-Fisted Tales and Frontline Combat) with such talent as Will Elder, Jack Davis, and Wally Wood.
The 2013 Harvey Award Winners
- Best Single Issue or Story: Saga #1 – Image
- Best Cartoonist: Jaime Hernandez – Love and Rockets. New Stories, Fantagraphics
- Best Artist: Fiona Staples – Saga, Image
- Best Writer: Brian K. Vaughan – Saga, Image
- Best Continuing or Limited Series: Saga, Image
- Best Graphic Album, Original: Richard Stark’s Parker: The Score, IDW
- Dick Giordano Hero Initiative Humanitarian of the Year Award: Paul Levitz
- Special Award for Excellence in Presentation: Building Stories – Chris Ware, Pantheon Books
- Best Biographical, Historical or Journalistic Presentation: Robot 6 Website, Comic Book Resources
- Best Cover Artist: David Aja – Hawkeye, Marvel Comics
- Best Domestic Reprint Project: David Mazzuccheli’s Daredevil: Born Again, Artist’s Edition, IDW
- Best Anthology: Dark Horse Presents, Dark Horse
- Best Graphic Album Previously Published: Alien: The Illustrated Story, Titan Books
- Best Original Graphic Publication for Younger Readers: Adventure Time, KaBOOM! Studios
- Special Award for Humor in Comics: Ryan North – Adventure Time, KaBOOM! Studios
- Most Promising New Talent: Dennis Hopeless – Avengers Arena, Marvel Comics
- Best New Series: Saga, Image
- Hero Initiative Lifetime Achievement: Sal Buscema
- Best Inker: Klaus Janson – Captain America, Marvel Comics
- Best American Edition of Foreign Work: Blacksad: A Silent Hell, Dark Horse
- Best Online Comics Work: Battlepug, Mike Norton, http://www.battlepug.com
- Best Syndicated Strip or Panel: Dick Tracy- Joe Staton and Mike Curtis, Tribune Media Services
- Best Colorist: Fiona Staples – Saga, Image
- Best Letterer: Todd Klein – Fables, DC Comics