Marvel’s making sure all comic book stores worldwide are armed for the biggest super hero war of all time with the Avengers VS X-Men Launch Parties on Tuesday, April 3rd at 8pm (local time), one day before the first issue goes on-sale. In addition to being the first in line to purchaseAvengers VS X-Men #1, fans will also be able to receive special items exclusive to these parties, specific to the team—Avengers or X-Men—supported by the store.
To ensure these parties are the biggest sales success of 2012, each retailer opting into this event will receive a free Avengers VS X-Men Party Kitfrom Marvel, containing exclusive promotional materials.. In order to receive this party kit, every retailer just needs to choose a team—Avengers or X-Men—and will receive special bonuses for their allegiance.
“We’ve never had a bigger story than Avengers VS X-Men and we’re backing retailers with the biggest incentives you’ve ever seen through theAvengers VS X-Men Launch Parties,” said David Gabriel, Marvel Senior Vice-President of Sales. “Whether it’s advertising, promotional material or limited edition variant covers, every one of our valued retailer partners will be able to get the word out to both their regular customers and new fans about this comic event and the exciting Avengers VS X-Men Launch Parties. Some stores will choose to side with the Avengers and some will side with the X-Men, but I can guarantee one thing—Marvel will make sure all of them have everything they need to make Avengers VS X-Men #1 their top selling comic of the year.”
All retailers who opt into the parties & choose a team will receive the following as part of the Avengers VS X-Men Party Kit:
- Avengers VS X-Men Program, a free comic previewing the upcoming event
- Avengers VS X-Men Postcards
- Avengers VS X-Men Customizable Flyer
- Avengers VS X-Men Customizable Press Release
- Avengers VS X-Men Backlist Sales
- Avengers VS X-Men mini posters
- Avengers VS X-Men promo items
- Avengers VS X-Men #1 Advance Screening Copy, delivered to retailers in late March 2012
- Avengers VS X-Men Party Lithographs
- Mass media promotion around the launch of AvX and the associated parties
- Promotion of parties to Marvel fan base via Marvel.com, Twitter and Facebook
- An additional discount on the Road to Avengers VS X-Men Trade Paperback
And these same retailers will receive complimentary team specific versions—based on their allegiance—of the following:
- Exclusive Avengers VS X-Men #1 Spotlight Variant specific to the team supported by the store
- Free Avengers VS X-Men mini-posters showing store allegiance
- Free Avengers VS X-Men Party Tickets
- Free Avengers or X-Men Team Pins
- Free Avengers VS X-Men in-store signage and shelf-talkers
Retailers, please check the Marvel Mailer or Diamond Daily for regular updates about the Avengers VS X-Men Launch Parties.
Which team will reign supreme? Join the conversation on Twitter with #AvX!
For more on Avengers VS X-Men, please visit http://avx.marvel.com
I probably shouldn’t be as giddy about this news as I am, but I really can’t help it. This type of promotion is really what the comics industry needs. Most times, when big releases hit stores, there’s a huge news push leading up to the release, then all of a sudden it fizzles out and goes away, only to live on is small, word-of-mouth bursts. But to provide a “party pack” to retailers and allow them to host release parties in stores, complete with preview copies and free giveaways is a great way to draw new fans into the store. It gives them the chance to see how fun comics can be.
Clearly, Marvel believes that not only with Avengers Vs. X-Men be a major hit with current readers, but it also has the power to draw new readers into the fold. They certainly have a great shot at that, given the popularity of the recent X-Men and Avengers-themed movies. And with the timing of the series, being release a few weeks before The Avengers hits theaters, there’s really no doubting Marvel’s finger on the pulse of the industry.
Now, I just really hope my LCS decides to throw one of these parties…