- As our own James Halstead announced the other day, Doctor Strange was confirmed to be joining the brawl in Ultimate Marvel VS Capcom 3. You can check out the good doctor in action in the trailer below. UMVC3 will release this November for the PS3 and XBOX 360.
- Sony announced a new round of price drops for the PS3. The 160 GB model will now retail for $250, while the larger 320 GB model will now retail for $300. The move comes just as we transition from the traditionally slow summer release window into the fall line-up. The price drops have already gone into effect in all regions.
- This has been a busy week for the Battlefield 3 franchise. Hot off last week’s revelation about the title’s absence on Valve‘s digital distribution service, the studio’s leader, Gabe Newell, announced his intention to convince EA to bring Battlefield 3 to Steam. In an interview with Develop, Newell said,
“We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that…Companies have to earn the right to install content on their customers’ PCs on a regular basis. The same thing is true of Steam. We have to prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether it’s to EA or Ubisoft or whoever.”
There has yet to be any official response to Newell and Valve’s campaign.
In better Battlefield 3 news, a new trailer, showing off a massive multiplayer match on the Caspian Border map, was released earlier in the week. Honestly, if you’ve been on the fence about Battlefield 3, this trailer should be enough to sway you. The environments are beautiful, the vehicle combat looks intuitive and fluid, and the game runs incredibly smoothly. Check it out below and prepare to be amazed.
- The long-awaited free Portal 2 DLC will be arriving very soon. Speaking with Kotaku at Gamescom, Doug Lombardi confirmed that the first DLC package, containing challenge maps, new test chambers, and leaderboards for both single and multiplayer will release across all three platforms in September. There has been no word about the future of Portal 2‘s DLC beyond this first pack.
- Nintendo officially threw their hat into the Holiday 2011 arena this week. Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword will release on November 20th. The highly anticipated title will attempt to gain sales footing in a very crowded holiday roster, which our own Robb Orr previewed last week.
- Finally, the already stellar upcoming 3DS title line-up looks to be beefing up a bit. Legendary creator Hideo Kojima tweeted the other day about a strange sculpture on a colleague’s desk. The sculpture in-question, a L.E.V. from the popular (yet, sadly, long-dormant) Zone of the Enders franchise, was curiously juxtaposed against a background with text that appears to say “Z.O.E. 3DS.” There has been no other information about the image yet. Whether this indicates a port of the original Zone of the Enders game or a possible third entry in the franchise remains to be seen. Check out the image below and see what you can get out of it.
That’ll do it for this week’s Gamer Pulse. Thanks for reading, and, as always, stay tuned to Comic Booked!