These newest titles will feature some of the biggest names in comics handling the creative duties. Writers and artists such as Grant Morrison, (Action Comics) James Robinson, (Starman) Paul Levitz, (Legion of Superheroes) George Perez (New Titans) Kevin Maguire (Justice League) Nicola Scott, (Secret Six) Ian Churchhill, (Supergirl) and Howard Mackie (Ghost Rider) will be bringing to life the adventures of the Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Huntress, Batman, and Robin. They will continue to explore different styles and genres of comics, giving us readers a more diverse DCU.
From DC’s Blog:
Featuring a variety of different genres and storytelling sensibilities, the titles in the “Second Wave” will be helmed by some of the most legendary writers and artists in the comic book industry, and will also feature the first ongoing comic book series written by acclaimed novelist China Miéville.
“The excitement of the initial launch of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 was in seeing the re-imagining of these classic characters and concepts,” said Bob Harras, DC Entertainment Editor-in-Chief. “The ‘Second Wave’ is all about world-building.”
DC COMICS-THE NEW 52 “Second Wave” includes:
- BATMAN INCORPORATED – Writer: Grant Morrison. Artist: Chris Burnham. The acclaimed ongoing writer of ACTION COMICS, Grant Morrison, presents a fresh take on BATMAN INCORPORATED, in which the Batman brand is franchised globally in preparation for a major international threat.
- EARTH 2 – Writer: James Robinson. Artist: Nicola Scott. The greatest heroes on a parallel Earth, the Justice Society combats threats that will set them on a collision course with other worlds.
- WORLDS’ FINEST – Writer: Paul Levitz. Artists: George Perez and Kevin Maguire. Stranded on our world from a parallel reality, Huntress and Power Girl struggle to find their way back to Earth 2. Perez and Maguire will be the artists on alternating story arcs.
- DIAL H – Writer: China Miéville. Artist: Mateus Santoluoco. The first ongoing series from acclaimed novelist China Miéville, this is a bold new take on a cult classic concept about the psychological effects on an everyman who accidentally gains powers to become a hero.
- G.I. COMBAT – Writer: J.T. Krul. Artist: Ariel Olivetti. Featuring the return of a classic DC Comics series, THE WAR THAT TIME FORGOT, along with rotating back-up stories and creative teams – including THE UNKNOWN SOLDIER, with writers Justin Gray and Jimmy Palmiotti and artist Dan Panosian; and THE HAUNTED TANK, with writer John Arcudi and artist Scott Kolins.
- THE RAVAGERS – Writer: Howard Mackie. Artist: Ian Churchill. Spinning off from TEEN TITANS and SUPERBOY, this series finds four superpowered teens on the run and fighting against the organization that wants to turn them into supervillains.
Dial H also looks like it could be a surprise hit, taking the classic Silver Age concept and giving it a 21st century sensibility, much like what Grant Morrison is doing with Batman Incorporated, and with books like Earth 2 and Worlds’ Finest, DC is bringing back more Silver Age concepts, by returning to it’s Multiverse in earnest. DC has been teasing the multiverse concept going all the way back to 2006 with Infinite Crisis and 52, and hopefully will lead to much discussed MULTIVERSITY series by Grant Morrison that has been discussed since Final Crisis.
Of course to make room in their schedule for these new books, Six existing titles will end this spring with their 8th issue. BLACKHAWKS, HAWK AND DOVE, MEN OF WAR, MISTER TERRIFIC, O.M.A.C. and STATIC SHOCK will all end, but most of these characters will find new places to call home. Of all these titles, the only one I am surprised to see coming to an end was Mister Terrific, which I thought was a fantastic book. I will also miss Static (who I would expect to turn up in Teen Titans) and surprisingly I will kinda be sad to see O.M.A.C. go.
Since this just the beginning of the “Second Wave” I am sure we can look forward to more soon. But will DC continue to keep there ongoing title count at 52? And if so, what other books do you think we will be saying goodbye to? Let us know over in the forums!