Young Romance was a title that begin in 1947 under the publisher Prize Comics, and with issue #125 made the leap to DC. DC’s last issue was #208, published in 1975. The title was created by a couple of guys whose names you may recognize – Joe Simon and Jack Kirby, co-creators of Marvel mainstay Captain America.
We’ve already seen some new romances within the New 52 for just over the year it’s been on the stands, the most notable has been Superman and Wonder Woman in the pages of Justice League. This special issue takes that event one step further. As DC announced both on their blog as well as in their February solicitations, this is what we can expect to see:
- Romance is in the air in this very special Special!
- Wonder Woman consults Eros himself about her feelings for The Man of Steel.
- Barbara Gordon has always been too busy for romance, but could her role as Batgirl bring her back to the first guy she ever kissed?
- Following the events of “Death in the Family,” how can Catwoman ease Batman’s troubled soul?
- Aquaman makes waves as he treats his wife like a queen for a day.
- From the pages of STORMWATCH, Apollo and Midnighter celebrate Valentine’s Day separately but with each other in mind. Who—or what—stands between them?
- Dick Grayson and the daughter of Lucious Fox meet-cute!
- Plus: Perforated Valentine’s Day cards featuring the stars of these stories!
It seems like DC is trying to lighten up a little, what with all of the doom and gloom going around the New 52 Universe right now! We don’t see any word of the Third Army here, nor of Darkseid or another Apokolips. After a period of misery to many of our heroes (Joker attack, anyone?) something on the lighter side is definitely needed for our DC crew.
As well, add in such great creators on this issue – writers Andy Diggle, Ann Nocenti, Cecil Castellucci, Peter Milligan, and Kyle Higgins paired with artists Gene Ha, Emanuela Lupacchino, Becky Cloonan, Phil Jimenez and Sanford Green – this issue is definitely going to surprise.