It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that Video Games don’t translate very well to film. Don’t believe me? Feel free to check out Super Mario Bros, Street Fighter, and Doom. Those aren’t necessarily the worst but they most certainly aren’t the best. Video Games have been getting a bad rap as movies for as long as I can remember but usually rightfully so. Still, there have been successful movie franchises out of a few; specifically the Resident Evil franchise which went above and beyond to be nothing like the game and crush all of our hopes and dreams into the ground. Check out the Box Office revenue and you will see regardless of Resident Evil being nothing like the game it has been a huge success. With technology at an all time high and special effects at the peak of perfection there is no better time than now to bring these titles to the forefront and get crackin’ on what is sure to be “Box Office Gold”. There will be ten installments which will feature five video games a piece to ensure I don’t make your eyes bleed. Got one you think I missed? Let me know in the comments section below! Happy Gaming!
16. Earthbound – Earthbound or “Mother 2” is drastically different than every other RPG as it sways away from the mystical monsters and wizardy and focuses on what has become remarkably mainstream: Aliens. Basically, you are this kid named Ness who has the power of “Batboy”, which means he uses everyday items (bats… that’s about it) to stop invaders and whatnot. The rest of the cast has similar abilities except that punkass Jeff who gets to use all sorts of sweet guns. And poor Paula obviously knows her place as she can only use items available in the kitchen. The thing I would be looking forward to the most about an Earthbound movie would have to be the scenery as, even though it is set in fictional places in the USA, the scenery is very captivating. Not in the SNES game but when you see the levels in Super Smash Bros. And there is a character named Poo. The only character who can hold a sweet sword. Just like Japan to throw in a fart joke of some sort.
17. Assassin’s Creed – Yes, I am well aware there is an Assassin’s Creed movie in the works that stars Michael Fassbender, but I made this list LONG before that movie was announced. There is also a Splinter Cell movie in the works with Bane but that doesn’t mean it isn’t on this list! It just means that a list like this might actually be noticed by movie execs, regardless of if my readers want that or not. I’m not even going to attempt to explain why this movie would be so awesome, but I will just say that if you liked Inception you would absolutely love Assassin’s Creed. Altaïr ibn-La’Ahad and Desmond Miles are our heroes, while Altaïr ibn-La’Ahad is our hero during the third crusade and Desmond is our hero in 2012. But the story goes simultaneously. This could be the greatest video game turned movie franchise ever but we all know how Hollywood likes to stick their nose in where it doesn’t belong. And we all know sticking your nose in something where you shouldn’t always stinks. But I’m crossing my fingers that Assassin’s Creed is just as brilliant as the game itself.
18. Sonic the Hedgehog – How can you NOT make a Sonic the Hedgehog movie? He is the most famous Hedgehog out there! He is also the fastest Hedgehog out there according to the cartoon theme song. Even though Sonic is the face of Sega Genesis that doesn’t mean Sonic can’t be the face of a highly entertaining animated film. Of course Animated now means digital but either way I think it has something special that it could bring to the table. Seeing ridiculously fast speeds still hasn’t been “perfected”. No one has really shown what super speed should feel like. There have been plenty of characters that had super speed over the years appearing in movies, but the closest we have seen to perfection? It would have to be Dash from The Incredibles, but even then we aren’t even coming anywhere close to how vibrant super speed could really be. And the next leap in super speed animation? I will give you a hint: He has to stop the evil Dr. Robotnik, and collect all 8 emeralds to save the world.
19. Knights of the Round – Although this game probably wasn’t one very many people thought would make the cut, I personally love this game so deal with it! If you haven’t played it, think about a side-scroller mixed with elements of an RPG and you have Knights of the Round. It is the typical story of Arthur pulling Excalibur out of the stone and winning the girl. Only subtract the part where he wins the girl and add in his two buddies from college Lancelot and Perceval and go on a bad ass journey, killing everything in sight! Over the journey you level up looking more badass with more impressive armor each level. For some reason, that nut Perceval starts the journey topless so once he levels up he finally has something covering up his bare chest. This concept alone would bring women out in droves. Ever heard of Twilight or Magic Mike? I know women are pigs, but sometimes we have to cater to everyone.
20. Sunset Riders – Another game most people probably wouldn’t add to this list, but it’s another childhood favorite of mine. Long story short: you are bounty hunters Billy Cool and Cormano Wild (I bet you didn’t know cowboys had the last name of Cool, but now you do) and you run around collecting bounties and taking out bad guys. At the end of each level you would take on a big boss who would be the real person you were after (largest bounty). There aren’t that many cool bounty hunters out there besides Lobo and Boba Fett, so why not bring the world a new wild west adventure and give people a reason to believe that bounty hunters are cool? Some of our poor kids are gonna see Dog The Bounty Hunter and think that is what real bounty hunters are about. But we know there is more to bounty hunting than Beth and Bear Mace.