The dog days of summer, here in August, feel like a wasteland for new video game releases. Sure we have DeusEx: Human Revolution dropping next week, and for football fans Madden NFL 12comes out at the end of the month; but there are currently no titles that really jump out and make me count down the days until the game comes out. Good thing there is a robust selection of game releases just around the corner this fall. I thought it would be fun to take a look ahead to the five must-play games of fall 2011!
5. Battlefield 3 (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) Release date: October 25th The upcoming release of DICE’s new battlefield shooter could seriously challenge Call of Duty for gamer’s hard-earned cash and playtime. The graphics look amazing this time around thanks to the Frostbite 2 engine: improved screen-blur, scale, realistic lighting-effects, explosions, and environmental damage all add up to a feast for the eyes. Streamlined player-classes, improved vehicle-damage systems and new sniper mechanics should all improve gameplay and make Battlefield 3 a real contender.
4. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) Release date: November 11th RPG fans don’t despair, the fall game releases have a treat for you as well! Bethesda is a beloved game developer (even hackers don’t want to cause chaos after breaching the company’s network) and The Elder Scrolls is a beloved series. In this newest installment expect special emphasis on graphic improvement. More realistic facial-animations, lighting, and sense of scale, and improved third-person views are but a few of the promised graphic upgrades. Players will now be able to dual-wield weapons and have a new method of attack known as “Dragon Chants” to round out their arsenal. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim should be epic! Bethesda almost had two entries in this list, so be sure to check the “Honorable Mentions” section below to find out what else they have on tap for you this fall.
3. Assassin’s Creed Revelations (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) Release date: November 15th What can you say about Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed series? The series that started off decent enough with the first installment has evolved into one of the finest franchises out there (in my opinion). With a heady blend of climbing, exploring, free-running, stealth, history, conspiracy and combat, the series has continued to get better and more polished with each game. This time around expect a new city (Constantinople in 1511), new bombs and weapons, even further combat refinement, and the end of the Ezio and Altair storylines. Don’t sleep on this title!
2. Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (PS3 exclusive) Release date: November 1st Naughty Dog’s Uncharted series is just awesome sauce! The first entry, Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune, was enough to convince me to buy a PS3, and Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was the first PS3 game to widely receive a perfect score from many reviewers. Uncharted is like getting to play the game version of a blockbuster summer movie like Indiana Jones. Action, adventure, exploration, climbing, and gun-play all factor in to make Uncharted games a white-knuckle thrill-ride. Beautiful cinematic sequences, great voice acting, and fun plots are all hallmarks of this series that seriously blurs the line between movies and games. Expect a more seasoned and capable Drake this time around, and do not miss out on what is sure to be one of the hit games this autumn!
1. Batman: Arkham City (PS3, Xbox 360, PC) Release date: October 18th Right before Halloween the wait for Rocksteady’s new Batman game will finally be over! More new trailers and information come out about this hotly-anticipated sequel by the day. Even today new Mr. Freeze info was released (see the Nick Furious article about it here on Comic Booked). The first Batman game is one of the finest comic based games to ever be released. Players actually feel like they have taken control of The Dark Knight in a game worthy of his legendary comic book character status. Excellent gameplay, inspired voice acting (click here to access an interview with the voice behind the game and cartoon Batman), wonderful gadgets, and fight dynamics put the first installment atop the comic game pantheon, and that game took place completely within the walls of Arkham Asylum. As the title of the new game suggests, this time players will have an entire city to explore. The graphics and trailers for this game are just eye-popping (check it out for below). Who needs summer when we get Batman: Arkham City in the fall?
Honorable Mentions: Rage (from Bethesda), Saints Row: The Third (from THQ), Gears of War 3 (from Microsoft Game Studios), and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (from Activision)
Yes, I fully expect to get grief for leaving Call of Duty off the list. I love the franchise and have played it for more hours than I care to admit, but the series seems to be getting opting for a more “on the rails” style of gameplay, with more set pieces and less innovation. Maybe C.O.D. doesn’t need to evolve; IT IS after all, the most popular game out there. So regardless of what I write, C.O.D. is going to sell millions of copies, and it seemed a bit pointless to include it on this list.
So there you have my list of five must-play games for fall. What fall games are you excited about? What other games would you have included on the list? Feel free to leave comments below, and get in on the conversation! Thank you for reading.